Frequently Asked Questions

Explore the possibilities!

Holiday Home Ownership at Lufflands Caravan Park; enjoy the peace and tranquil surroundings on our 8 acre park. Nestled in the Devonshire countryside, its a beautiful place to be….

Frequently Asked Questions when Considering Owning your own Holiday Home and Explanation of Holiday Use

What can my caravan holiday home be used for?

Answer: Caravan holiday homes at our park can only be used for holiday purposes. This means the holiday home many not be someone’s main residence. That is why we ask you about the address of your main residence and will continue to do so while you own the holiday home.

What is a holiday?

A holiday is a period of recreation away from your main residence, during which no work is done.

How long can a holiday be?

There is no hard and fast rule because people’s individual circumstances vary so much. The point is that someone who is on holiday has their main residence elsewhere where they mainly live.

How frequently can I have a holiday?

There is no limit to the number of holidays which can be taken in the caravan holiday home provided that it is not used as someone’s only or main place of residence.

Can I work locally and my children go to local schools?

No, as commuting to work or school from Lufflands Caravan Park would be taken as strongly indicating the holiday home is being used as someone’s main residence.

Can I register with a doctor locally?

Of course people get ill on holiday and may use the local doctor as a temporary patient. It should not be necessary for someone with a main residence elsewhere to register with the doctor for holiday periods unless they have particular health requirements.

I am retired and want to use the caravan holiday home all the time?

Being retired does not mean you are on holiday. The test is whether you have a main residence elsewhere.

My main residence is overseas, does this count?

Yes, but all the facts are relevant when deciding whether the overseas property or the caravan holiday home is your main residence. These would include whether you own the overseas property or, if it is rented then how long have you rented it for, how much time you spend in the holiday home and how much in the overseas property.

Can I run a business from the holiday home?

Definitely not. This would not be consistent with holiday use. However if someone wanted to keep in touch with their work or business whilst on holiday for example, they could use a laptop, tablet or smartphone.

Can I have post delivered to the park?

We do not facilitate this. If post is delivered as a matter of course this would indicate the holiday home is being used as a sole or main place of residence.

Can I register for Council Tax in order to obtain Housing Benefit?

No. Business rates and not Council Tax are charged for caravan holiday homes. Paying Council Tax or receiving Housing Benefit to pay pitch fees would be taken as strongly indicating the holiday home is being used as a main residence.

What happens if I break the holiday restriction?

Your Licence Agreement with us contains your undertaking to comply with the holiday condition. If you broke that we would ask you to stop doing so. If you were to fail to comply, we would be entitled to terminate the agreement and to ask you to remove the caravan holiday home. The planning authority might also take action against you for breach of the holiday occupancy condition by serving an Enforcement Notice.